This year, CrossFit HQ has moved the CrossFit Open to October. So this year we get a double dose of the Open!
Now is the time for you to register to be part of the 2020 Solcana Open Team Challenge, AKA the most fun time of year.
What is the Open?
The CrossFit Open is an international competition that happens annually. Starting this year it will occur in October. It’s an opportunity for CrossFit athletes across the world to test out their skills by completing 5 different workouts. Each week CrossFit Games (games.crossfit.com) releases a workout, and you have just five days to complete it and submit your score. While anyone is able to submit a score officially, Solcana does a gym-wide team competition.
The schedule of workouts is:
20.1: Oct. 10th release, complete by Oct. 13th
20.2: Oct. 17th release, complete by Oct. 20th
20.3: Oct. 24th release, complete by Oct. 27th
20.4: Oct. 31st release, complete by Nov. 3rd
20.5: Nov. 7th release, complete by Nov. 10th
How to get involved:
To complete the open workouts this year, you need to register to be part of a Solcana team. The registration form is at the bottom of this blog post. These teams are randomly chosen, and consist of 4 people. They will be random, but they will be coordinated with time of day you tend to workout, so you can see your teammates often, and encourage them.
- Teams will be made up of athletes of all skill levels, with an option to be on an TFW or BIPOC team.
- Each week the workouts are divided into Platinum, Gold or Silver options. CrossFit release them with an Rx or Scaled name, and then we will take them and sort them into our normal way of doing things. You will notice that each level (P, G, S) will have two weight options. This is our way of navigating the fact that CrossFit HQ makes two gendered options for each of their workouts. You can just choose each week which option fits your body best!
- There is a prize to be had for the top scoring athlete in every workout.
- At the end of the Open, prizes will be awarded for top team, as well as a prize for the “spirit award”.
- Each team will drop their lowest score each week. So, if you are sick or absent one week, just let your team know!
- You do not need to register on the official games.crossfit.com page.
- You do need to register below to be selected for a Solcana team.
- If you can’t be part of a team, you can still complete the workouts on the given days. We will be doing the workout every Friday.
- Deadline to sign up for a team spot is Friday October 1st by 5 pm.
- You can complete the Open workout at any CrossFit gym in the world, though you may have to alter it a bit to match how we do it.
It does not matter if you are “not good” at CrossFit, or “not strong enough”, or whatever other thing you are telling yourself right now to avoid signing up. You CAN and WILL complete the open workouts at whatever level you are capable of. This is a chance for you to push yourself out of your comfort zone and commit to something. If you’ve never done it before, talk to someone in the gym who has and they will tell you just how much fun it is!
When you can do the workouts?
You will have the chance to complete these workouts ALL DAY Friday and at 11 am on Saturdays. There will also be open gym on Sundays from noon to 2pm during the open. As long as the score is submitted to by Sunday evening at 5 pm it will be accepted!
Friday Night Lights will run from 5:30-7:30 pm, where we will run several heats of the Open Workouts, and pack the gym with cheering people. If you want to take part in that, you can sign up on WODify to save a spot (there will likely be about 24-30 spots per week depending on the workout), and show up no later than 6:30 to participate. This will be only lightly-coached, so if you need some more technical instruction on one of the movements, consider coming to an earlier class, or pulling aside Coach Ryan while you are getting warmed up.
I highly encourage you to sign up to be part of a team. You and your team are going to have a lot of fun picking your name, putting your outfits together, and pushing one another to do your best!